Backup & Disaster Recovery
The first priority for any backup system is to store a copy of your data on suitable media. The second priority is to store a backup of your server operating systems to avoid extended downtime and labour costs in the event of a server failure or loss.
To effectively recover from a disaster such as fire, flood or theft however, it’s essential that your backup data is also stored offsite.
With a tape backup system, taking the tapes offsite is a chore and there are also gaps in the backup over public holidays. With a Cloud backup system, the storage of your backup data is usually charged per GB, which can incur some hefty storage costs.
To overcome these limitations, CHS Networks Ltd recommends a combination of technology from QNAP and StorageCraft that allows you to back up your data and operating systems to a local storage unit, and then to replicate the backup data offsite to a second storage unit located in our data centre*.
This completely automates the offsite storage of the backup data without incurring excessive costs, and also places your backup data in the hands of the company responsible for recovering your system.
*To reduce the cost of the system, the offsite element can be replaced by the customer manually copying the backup data to USB drives and storing them offsite. This removes the annual backup management fee and the second QNAP storage device.
HOW IT WORKS
• The StorageCraft backup software will take a snapshot of the server volumes once an hour during the working day and store the backup images on a local QNAP NAS (Network Attached Storage) device.
• The snapshot images are continually verified, consolidated and retained by the ImageManager component of the backup software.
• According to a configured schedule, ImageManager replicates the backup images from the local QNAP storage device to a second QNAP located in our data centre.
• All the backup images are encrypted and require a password to decrypt. Every year, CHS restart the backup jobs and store the previous year’s backup data in an archive. This provides a backup history that can extend back several years (until storage capacity is consumed). To manage the offsite backup data and to cover the bandwidth costs, CHS charges an annual
The backup system will be continually monitored by both our Kaseya management system, and also by the CMD console provided with the backup software. Should any problem occur with the backup system, our engineers will quickly be aware of the situation and investigate the fault.
The CHS Networks backup solution system offers the following advantages over tape backup solutions:
• The system is fully automated, no customer intervention is required.
• Snapshots can be taken throughout the day; there will no longer be an overnight ‘backup window’ to adhere to.
• Data restoration is fast and easy, no tape has to be put in the drive.
• Years of backup history can be maintained (depending on storage capacity).
• Completely protects the server infrastructure from any eventuality.